Green Pea Soup with Bacon
|5 slices bacon, cut into small pieces|
|2 tbs butter|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|2 packages frozen peas|
|2 cups salted water|
|1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|4 cups chicken broth|
|1/2 cup sour cream|
- In a sauce pan, cook the bacon over low heat until it is browned.
- With a slotted spoon, remove all but a few pieces of bacon and drain on paper towels.
- pour off all but a thin film of fat from the pan, then add 1 tbs of butter along with the onion.
- Cook over low heat until the onion is soft but not browned.
- Add the peas, salted water and black pepper. Cook until the peas are just tender.
- Cool slightly and puree, 2 cups at a time in blender or food processor.
- Pour back into the sauce pan and stir in the chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Put the sour cream inn a bowl and add 3-4 tbs of the hot soup and stir to make a smooth mixture.
- Stir this mixture into the soup, taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Serve hot with a sprinkling of bacon on top.