|6 sticks unsalted butter, softened and divided|
|1/2 cup sugar|
|1 tsp double strength vanilla|
|3 cups flour|
|1/2 tsp baking powder|
|1/4 tsp salt|
|2 cups brown sugar|
|2/3 cup honey|
|3/4 tsp grated lemon peel|
|3/4 tsp grated orange peel|
|3 and 1/3 cups chopped pecans|
|1/4 cup heavy cream|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together 3 sticks plus 3 tbs butter and the sugar for 3 minutes on medium speed.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add to the butter mixture and mix until well blended.Press the dough onto the bottom and slightly up the sides of a jelly roll pan (11×17).
- Smooth it out well because it won’t change during baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Let cool.
- In a heavy sauce pan, combine the brown sugar, honey, lemon peel, orange peel and remaining butter.
- Cook over low heat until the butter melts, stirring constantly.
- Raise heat to medium and bring to a boil, stirring regularly.
- Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly during this time.
- Turn the heat down a bit if it starts to be a rolling boil. It should be steady but not frothing up.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the pecans and heavy cream.
- Pour over the cooled crust and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Refrigerate until cold before serving.