8 Bean and Ham Soup
- 1/4 cup barley
- 1/4 cup dried black beans
- 1/4 cup dried red beans
- 1/4 cup dried pinto beans
- 1/4 cup dried navy beans
- 1/4 cup dried black eyed peas
- 1/4 cup great northern beans
- 1/4 cup dried lentils
- 1/4 cup dried spit peas
- 3-4 quarts chicken stock
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (16 oz) can of tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 oz) can of green chilies, undrained
- 1 lb ham, cooked and diced
This is a very hearty belly warming soup using dried beans. In a pinch you may substitute canned beans where possible.
- Add the beans to a large stock pot and cover with water. Let soak overnight.
- Drain the beans and add 3-4 quarts of chicken stock, along with the onion, bay leaf, garlic and celery.
- Add the can of un- drained tomatoes and green chilies.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.