- 1 package dry yeast (2 1/2 tsp)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups butter milk
- cooking spray
- 1 tbs butter, melted
These biscuits are made with a yeast dough. It makes them very soft and fluffy.
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup warm water and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups and level with a knife.
- Combine the flour and the next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or to knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add yeast mixture and buttermilk to flour mixture and stir just until moist.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Turn the dough out onto a heavily floured surface and knead lightly 5 times.
- Roll dough to a 1/2 inch thickness, then cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter.
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Brush the melted butter over the biscuit tops and bake at 450 for 12 minutes or until golden.