Asian Sesame Shrimp Toasts
|3/4 cup peeled, cooked shrimp|
|1 tbs cornstarch|
|2 scallions, coarsely chopped|
|2 tsp fresh ginger, grated|
|2 tsp soy sauce|
|Pinch five spice powder|
|1 large egg, beaten|
|Kosher salt and cracked black pepper|
|6 thin slices day old bread|
|3 tbs sesame seeds|
|Vegetable oil for deep frying|
|Sauce of choice for serving|
- Place the shrimp in a food processor along with the cornstarch, scallions, ginger, soy sauce and five spice powder.
- Blend into a smooth paste.
- Spoon the mixture into a bowl, then stir in beaten egg.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut crusts off the bread, then spread the shrimp paste in an even layer on one side of each slice.
- Sprinkle over the sesame seeds, and press down lightly.
- Cut each slice diagonally into 4 triangles.
- Place on a sheet pan and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Fill a saucepan or deep fryer 1/3 full of oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Cook the toasts in batches, carefully lowering them seeded side down in the oil.
- Deep fry for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned, then turn over and cook for another 1 minute.
- Remove from oil using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Serve with the sauce of your choice for dipping.