Authentic Jamaican Jerk Paste
- 1/4 cup allspice
- 1-3 scotch bonnet or habanero peppers
- 6 scallions, white and green parts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 bay leaves, crumbled
- 1 tbs ginger, chopped or grated
- 1 cup fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbs black pepper
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Large dash kosher salt
- juice from 2 limes
- 1 cup vegetable oil
In Jamaica before cooking meat over a hot fire, they season the meat all over with salt and pepper, and then using a sharp knife they pierce the meat all over with about 1/2 inch incisions. Once this is done they spread the jerk paste all over the meat. This paste is especially good for pork or chicken, but may be used for seafood as well.
- Add all ingredients to the bowl of a food processor then pulse to combine, stirring as necessary to get a almost smooth paste.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper, then using a sharp knife make 1/2 inch incisions all over the meat.
- Using plastic gloves rub the meat all over with the paste, then cook over hot charcoal or wood.
- Recipe may be multiplied.