Bahamian Conch Fritters
|4 lbs fresh conch, diced|
|2 cups celery, diced|
|3 cups diced red bell pepper|
|3 cups onion diced|
|4 habanero peppers, seeded and diced|
|8 cups flour|
|1/4 cup baking powder|
|3 tbs tomato paste|
|1 tbs fresh thyme|
|Vegetable oil for frying|
- Place the conch, celery, green pepper, onion and hot peppers into a large bowl.
- Add the flour, baking powder, tomato paste, thyme and 4 cups water.
- Mix together well.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees in large saucepan, or deep fryer, 1/3 full with oil.
- Drop fritters by a tbs full into the hot oil, turning occasionally in order to brown all over. Cook in batches for 3-5 minutes. Take care not to over load the pan.
- Drain on a wire rack or paper towels.
- Recipe may be halved if desired.