Bahamian Conch Fritters
- 4 lbs fresh conch, diced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 3 cups diced red bell pepper
- 3 cups onion diced
- 4 habanero peppers, seeded and diced
- 8 cups flour
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs fresh thyme
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Place the conch, celery, green pepper, onion and hot peppers into a large bowl.
- Add the flour, baking powder, tomato paste, thyme and 4 cups water.
- Mix together well.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees in large saucepan, or deep fryer, 1/3 full with oil.
- Drop fritters by a tbs full into the hot oil, turning occasionally in order to brown all over. Cook in batches for 3-5 minutes. Take care not to over load the pan.
- Drain on a wire rack or paper towels.
- Recipe may be halved if desired.