Beer Can Chicken with Memphis Rub
|1 medium whole chicken, wings tucked in|
|1 can beer, room temperature|
|For the Memphis rub|
|2 tbs paprika|
|1 1/2 tsp brown sugar|
|1 1/2 tsp white sugar|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|1 tsp cayenne pepper|
|1/2 tsp celery salt|
|1/2 tsp dry mustard|
|1 tsp garlic powder|
|1 tsp onion powder|
- Combine all ingredients for Memphis rub, mixing well.
- Rinse chicken inside and out then pat dry.
- Wash the beer can with soap and water, rinse and dry.
- Sprinkle 1 tbs of rub inside the chicken, then rub 1 tbs of rub on the skin and work in with your hands.
- Open beer can, then using a church key type can opener make 5-6 holes in the top of the can.
- Pour out the top inch of beer from can, then spoon in the remaining rub.
- Set beer can on the counter and place the chicken’s butt over the can so that the can is almost completely hidden inside the chicken.
- Set the can and chicken on the grill, then cover the grill and cook for about 1 1/2 hours on medium heat, until the chicken is done.