Blue Cheese Stuffed Bacon and Sage Wrapped Filet
- 2 (8 oz) filet mignon steaks
- 3 tbs blue cheese
- 2 tbs cream cheese
- 8-10 fresh sage leaves
- 2 thick slices bacon
- 4 (4-6 inch)j wooden skewers or tooth picks
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- In a small mixing bowl mash together blue cheese, cream cheese and 1/4 tsp pepper with a fork.
- With a sharp paring knife, form a pocket by piercing into the side of each filet and cutting with a level circular motion, creating a wide internal pocket while being careful not to pierce through a side wall and keeping entry hole as small as possible.
- Stuff pocket of each filet with blue cheese mixture.
- Place sage leaves upright on the filet sides and wrap with bacon.
- Secure bacon in places with two skewers or toothpicks, piercing above and below the pocket.
- Place a cast iron pan on the grill and preheat to medium high.
- Season filets with salt and pepper and place on the cast iron pan.
- Using tongs, sear the sides to start crisping the bacon.
- Close grill and cook filets for 10, minutes per side over indirect heat.
- Sear filets directly on grate as needed to develop a nice caramel crust and finish cooking to a 125-130 degree internal temperature for medium rare.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.