Brown Butter Apple Pear Pie
|1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)|
|1 1/2 lbs golden delicious apples|
|1 1/2 lbs bartlett pears|
|1/3 cup brown sugar, packed|
|2 tbs corn starch|
|1 tbs lemon juice|
|1 tsp ground cinnamon|
|1/4 tsp salt|
|1 14oz box refrigerated pie crusts|
|1 tbs heavy cream|
|1 tbs coarse sugar|
- Place a rimmed baking sheet in middle of oven,
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small heavy duty saucepot, heat the butter on medium for 4-6 minutes until golden brown flecks appear and butter is fragrant, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples and pears.
- In a large bowl, toss together apples, pears, brown butter, brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt.
- Arrange 1 pie crust in a 9 inch pie plate.
- Add apple and pear filling to pie shell, along with any residual syrup in bowl.
- Place top crust over fruit nd cut off any excess pie crust as needed.
- Fold the edges on the top crust over the bottom crust, pinching to seal. Pinch the edges using thumb and forefinger to form a crimped edge, if desired.
- Brush top crust with heavy cream, then sprinkle evenly with the coarse sugar.
- Cut 6 slits in top crust.
- Place pie on heated baking sheet in oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375degrees and bake for another 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before serving.