The Buffalo Bill Grilled Cheese Sandwich
|4 boneless chicken breasts|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 cup buttermilk|
|1 cup flour|
|1 cup hot sauce|
|vegetable oil for frying|
|8 slices sourdough bread|
|6 tbs butter, room temperature|
|4 slices Wisconsin Monterrey Jack cheese|
|2/3 cup Wisconsin blue cheese, crumbled|
|2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded|
|hot sport peppers, optional|
This recipe is courtesy of Wisconsin Cheese.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place in a zip lock plastic bag.
- Pour buttermilk into bag and seal. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Place flour on plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour wing sauce into bowl, then heat large saute pan over medium-high heat, add oil to about 1 inch depth and heat to 350 degrees.
- Remove chicken breasts from bag and roll in flour to coat, shaking off excess.
- Fry in hot oil, 4-5 minutes per side or until golden and cooked through.
- Remove chicken breasts from skillet with tongs and turn them in the bowl of hot sauce to coat evenly, then reserve on a plate.
- In another large skillet heat over medium heat, then butter one side of each bread slice.
- Place 4 slices, butter side down in skillet and top each with 1 slice Monterrey Jack, 1 chicken breast, 1 oz blue cheese crumbles, and 1/2 cup shredded lettuce.
- Top each sandwich with another piece of the bread, butter side up, and grill turning once, until bread is golden and cheese melts.
- Garnish with sport peppers if desired