Buttermilk Fried Chicken Brine
|1 quart butter milk, more if needed|
|3 tsp thyme|
|1 tbs garlic powder|
|2 bay leaves|
|3 tsp onion powder|
|1 tbs kosher salt|
|1 tbs black pepper|
|1 tbs sugar|
This brine adds flavor and moistness to your fried chicken. Just add chicken with enough buttermilk to cover and let marinate for 24 hours. When you are ready to fry just coat chicken in seasoned flour and fry at 350 degrees for about 15 or 20 minutes or until cooked through. The result will be crispy, flavorful moist chicken.
- Add all ingredients for the brine and mix well.
- Add the chicken, cover and let marinate 24 hours.
- Remove chicken from brine and let excess drip off, then coat chicken in seasoned flour and fry for 15 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Drain chicken on a wire rack then serve.
- Makes enough brine for 1 fryer chicken, cut up.