Buttermilk Herb Fried Chicken
|2 cups buttermilk|
|6 garlic cloves, smashed|
|1 large onion, thinly sliced|
|1 cup assorted chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme and parsley|
|3 tsp paprika|
|2 tsp cayenne pepper|
|1 4 1/2 lb fryer chicken, cut into 8 pieces|
|3 cups vegetable shortening or oil|
|1 tbs garlic powder|
|1 tbs onion powder|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
- Whisk first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add the chicken, cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Melt vegetable shortening in a large cast iron skillet.
- Using a frying thermometer heat shortening to 325 degrees.
- Mix, flour, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne in a large brown paper bag and mix well to combine evenly.
- Drain chicken leaving some of the herbs still clinging.
- Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper.
- Working in 2 batches add the chicken to the bag, roll the top over to seal and shake well to coat the chicken. Let the chicken stand for 1 minute, then shake again.
- Fry the chicken in skillet until golden brown and cooked through, about 10-15 minutes per side. By covering the pan the chicken will cook faster.