Butternut Squash Bisque
|2 medium onions, chopped|
|2 large stalks celery, chopped|
|2 large carrots, peeled and chopped|
|1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|2 (20 oz) package of butternut squash, cubed|
|1/2 cup dry white wine|
|2 quarts vegetable or chicken stock|
|1/2 cup half and half|
|optional garnishes, flat leaf parsley, chopped chives|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
- Chop the onions, celery and carrots.
- In a large sauce pan or stock pot, heat the oil on medium heat and add the celery, onions and carrots.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender, stirring often.
- Add the butternut squash nd cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the wine and bring to a strong simmer, 2-3 minutes until reduced slightly.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes until squash is tender.
- Remove soup from heat and with an immersion blender puree soup until smooth.
- With heat on medium whisk in half and half.
- Taste for seasoning and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Garnish with chives and parsley if desired.