Caribbean Shrimp and Vegetable Soup
|1 cup onion, chopped|
|4 cloves garlic, minced|
|1/2 habanero chilie, diced|
|3 tsp fresh ginger, grated|
|1 tbs canola oil|
|1 tsp turmeric|
|2 tsp fresh thyme|
|4 cups chicken or vegetable stock|
|1 cup peeled and diced sweet potatoes|
|1 cup chopped tomatoes|
|1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped|
|1/2 cup yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped|
|1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|1 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped|
|2 tbs fresh lime juice|
|1 cup coconut milk|
|Kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|Cilantro sprigs for garnish|
- Combine the onions, garlic, chile, ginger, and oil in a large sauce pan. Saute using medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the turmeric and thyme and continue to saute for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock and sweet potatoes, cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes, or until the potatoes become tender.
- Add the tomatoes and bell peppers and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, cilantro, lime juice and coconut milk.
- Simmer until the shrimp just turn pink.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with fresh cilantro sprigs.