Caribbean Sweet Potato Cake
|2 lbs sweet potatoes|
|1 1/4 cups sugar|
|4 tbs unsalted butter|
|2 cups coconut cream|
|2 tsp cinnamon|
|pinch of kosher salt|
|3 eggs, well beaten|
|2 tbs dark rum, optional|
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes and put to cook with enough cold water to cover in a large sauce pan.
- Cooked, covered until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly and return to the sauce pan and mash with the sugar, butter, coconut cream, salt and cinnamon.
- Beat in the eggs , then pour into a buttered 9 inch round cake pan and bake in a 400 degree oven until a cake tester comes out clean, about 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and pour the rum over the cake. Optional.
- Allow to stand about 5 minutes in the cake pan then turn out to cool.