- 1 gallon apple cider vinegar
- 28 oz ketchup
- 2 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup crushed red pepper
- 3 tbs molasses
- 1 tbs black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
This is a wonderful vinegar and ketchup barbecue sauce. Because of the method being used you may store it on the shelf after making or place it in sterile quart jares for later use or they make great gifts.
- In a large stainless steel pot, combine all the ingredients and bring them to a boil, stirring often.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer the liquid for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat
- After the sauce is finished bubbling, but till quite hot, pour into clean quart jars. Be sure to leave around a 1/2 inch of head space in each jar.
- Wipe off the rims of the jars with a clean, damp rag and fix on new lids, then twist the ring on very tightly. Allow the jars to cool completely.
- By bottling this barbecue sauce hot, it will seal itself.
- The sauce will not need any refrigeration, until after opening the jar.
- Note this is a large batch recipe, however you may reduce by 1/2 or more if desired.