Carrot and Ginger Soup
|4 slices of bread, crusts removed|
|1 tsp yeast|
|2 tsp olive oil|
|1 onion, chopped|
|1 garlic clove, chopped|
|1/2 tsp ground ginger|
|2 and 1/2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped|
|4 cups vegetable stock|
|1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated|
|Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 tbs fresh lemon juice|
|Chives and lemon juice for garnish|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Coarsely chop the bread.
- Dissolve the yeast in 2 tbs of warm water and mix with the bread.
- Spread the bread cubes over a lightly greased baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan, then gently cook the garlic and onion for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the ground ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped carrots, then stir in the stock and the fresh ginger. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Add the soup to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the lemon juice.
- Garnish with chives and lemon zest.