Charleston Pickled Shrimp
|6 small white onions|
|2 lbs large shrimp, boiled, shelled and devveined, tails on|
|20-25 bay leaves|
|1 cup salad oil|
|1/4 cup tarragon vinegar|
|3 tsp kosher salt|
|1/2 tsp dry mustard|
|1 tsp sugar|
|1 tsp Worcestershire sauce|
|cayenne pepper to taste|
|hand full of pickling spices|
- With a sharp knife, peel the onions and cut them into very thin slices.
- In a gallon jar with a lid, put a layer of boiled shrimp, a layer of bay leaves and a layer of sliced onions. Alternate layers until shrimp are all used.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, salt, dry mustard, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne, and pickling spices, mixing well.
- Pour the mixture over the shrimp.
- Replace the lid of the jar and refrigerate.
- Marinate for 24 hours and shake the jar every now and then.
- Serve with toothpicks in a bowl placed over ice or as a salad with lettuce.