Charleston Pickled Shrimp
- 6 small white onions
- 2 lbs large shrimp, boiled, shelled and devveined, tails on
- 20-25 bay leaves
- 1 cup salad oil
- 1/4 cup tarragon vinegar
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- cayenne pepper to taste
- hand full of pickling spices
- With a sharp knife, peel the onions and cut them into very thin slices.
- In a gallon jar with a lid, put a layer of boiled shrimp, a layer of bay leaves and a layer of sliced onions. Alternate layers until shrimp are all used.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, salt, dry mustard, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne, and pickling spices, mixing well.
- Pour the mixture over the shrimp.
- Replace the lid of the jar and refrigerate.
- Marinate for 24 hours and shake the jar every now and then.
- Serve with toothpicks in a bowl placed over ice or as a salad with lettuce.