Cheese Grits Egg and Sausage Casserole
|2 1/2 cups milk|
|2 cups water|
|Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 1/4 cup quick grits|
|1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded|
|1/2 cup sliced scallions, white and green parts|
|3 eggs slightly beaten|
|1 tbs butter|
|1/4 lb breakfast sausage, ground|
|1-2 tsp paprika|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute the sausage until browned and cooked through, then drain on paper towels.
- Grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Heat, milk, water, salt and pepper to boiling in a large saucepan.
- Gradually add the grits, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes or until thick.
- Stir in the cheese, sausage and onions, and stir to combine. If mixture is too thick add more water.
- Stir in 1 cup of the hot mixture into eggs, then stir into the remaining hot mixture in the pan.
- Pour the contents of the saucepan into the casserole dish.
- Dot with butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered for about 20 minutes or until set and slightly browned on top.
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.