Chocolate Banana Pudding
|2 1/2 cups sugar|
|1.2 cup flour|
|dash kosher salt|
|2 (12 oz) cans evaporated milk|
|2 cups whole milk|
|1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder|
|6 egg yolks, beaten|
|1 tsp vanilla extract|
|6 bananas, sliced|
|1 (16 oz) package vanilla wafers|
|6 egg whites|
|1/2 cup sugar|
|1 (1 1/2 oz) chocolate bar, optional|
- In a 3-quart saucepan, combine the first six ingredients and mix well.
- Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture coats a spoon.
- Stir a small amount of pudding mixture into egg yolks.
- Stir egg yolks into the hot pudding mixture. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, then let pudding cook completely.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Alternate layers of pudding, bananas, and vanilla wafers in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar gradually, beating until stiff.
- Spread over the top of pudding, then bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Shave chocolate bar of the top. Optional.