Chocolate Rum Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch, sifted
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 cups half and half
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 oz baking chocolate, melted in the top of a double boiler
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- In a small bowl, sift together the sugar, salt and cornstarch.
- Stir in beaten eggs and mix until creamy. Set aside.
- Heat half and half and cream in a large sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly until very hot, but not boiling. 7-8 minutes.
- Gradually stir in sugar mixture, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in melted chocolate.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then stir in almond and vanilla extract.
- Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, then stir in rum.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturers directions.