Clams and Mussels with Tomato Basil Sauce
|1/2 cup white wine|
|3 garlic cloves, chopped|
|2 lbs mussels|
|1 lb little neck clams|
|1 (26 oz) jar of marinara sauce|
|1/2 cup basil, chopped|
|2 tbs olive oil|
|1 lb pasta, cooked according to package directions|
- Scrub the clams and mussels.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, add the garlic and cook slowly, do not brown.
- Add the white wine and let it come to a boil.
- Add the mussels and clams, cover and cook a few minutes until the clams and mussels open.
- Remove the shellfish from the pan, reserving the liquid.
- Discard any that have not opened.
- Strain the liquid then return to the pan.
- Add the tomato to the pan add the mussels and clams and basil and cook for about 2 minutes
- Pour the sauce along with the shellfish atop the pasta and season with salt and pepper to taste.