Clams and Mussels with Tomato Basil Sauce
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 lbs mussels
- 1 lb little neck clams
- 1 (26 oz) jar of marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 lb pasta, cooked according to package directions
- Scrub the clams and mussels.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, add the garlic and cook slowly, do not brown.
- Add the white wine and let it come to a boil.
- Add the mussels and clams, cover and cook a few minutes until the clams and mussels open.
- Remove the shellfish from the pan, reserving the liquid.
- Discard any that have not opened.
- Strain the liquid then return to the pan.
- Add the tomato to the pan add the mussels and clams and basil and cook for about 2 minutes
- Pour the sauce along with the shellfish atop the pasta and season with salt and pepper to taste.