COQ AU VIN
|4 slices bacon, cooked and bacon reserved|
|2 chicken breasts|
|2 chicken tlhighs|
|2 chicken leggs|
|1/2 cup flour|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|3 cloves garlic, chopped|
|2 cups pearl onions, peeled (place them in boiling water for several minutes for easy peeling)|
|2 cups mushrooms|
|2 carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces|
|1/4 cup cognac or brandy|
|1 bottle burgundy wine|
|2 cups chicken broth|
|5 sprigs fresh thyme|
|2 tsp herbs de Provence|
|3 bay leaves|
|Fresh parsley, chopped for garnish|
- In a large heavy skillet or Dutch oven, fry the bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Coat the chicken pieces in flour, salt and pepper, then brown chicken in hot bacon fat on both sides.
- Add the garlic, onions, mushrooms and carrots and saute for 2-3 minutes to soften.
- Pour cognac into a small glass.
- Remove pan from heat and pour in the cognac. Put the pan back on the heat and flambe by lighting a long match and holding it just above the pot and light the fumes.
- The cognac will catch fire and the flames will burn out within 1 minute.
- When the flames die down, gradually stir in the wine and broth.
- When the wine is well blended, add the herbs, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the cover and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes to allow the sauce to slightly reduce.
- To serve, top the chicken and vegetables with reserved crumbled bacon and fresh parsley.