- 1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 large garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced
- 1-2 tsp kosher salt, to taste
This robust, slightly crunchy mustard, keeps indefinitely, and is excellent with smoked deli meats, franks, sausages and dark breads.
- Combine mustard seeds, white wine, vinegar and bay leaf in a bowl and let stand for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature to soften seeds. Remove bay leaf.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor or blender.
- Add water and remaining seasonings.
- Process or blend mixture until coarse.
- Scrape mixture into the top of a double boiler, and stir over simmering water for about 10 minutes or until mustard thickens.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Note: The mixture will not be as thick as purchased mustard.
- Place mustard in a jar, and cool. Cover and refrigerate.