Country ShrimpGrits and Sausage Casserole
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup quick grits
- 3 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme or 1 tsp fresh
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 pounds pork sausage, cooked, crumbled and drained
- Tomato wedges and parsley sprigs for garnish
- Bring water to a boil, then stir in grits.
- Return to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cheese, stirring until melted.
- Combine eggs, milk, thyme and garlic powder, stir well.
- Gradually stir about 1/4 of hot grits mixture, then add the remaining hot grits, stirring constantly.
- Stir in sausage.
- Pour mixture into a lightly greased baking dish.
- To store cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for about 50 minutes.