Country ShrimpGrits and Sausage Casserole
|2 cups water|
|1/2 cup quick grits|
|3 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated|
|4 eggs lightly beaten|
|1 cup milk|
|1/2 tsp dried thyme or 1 tsp fresh|
|1 tsp garlic powder|
|1 1/2 pounds pork sausage, cooked, crumbled and drained|
|Tomato wedges and parsley sprigs for garnish|
- Bring water to a boil, then stir in grits.
- Return to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cheese, stirring until melted.
- Combine eggs, milk, thyme and garlic powder, stir well.
- Gradually stir about 1/4 of hot grits mixture, then add the remaining hot grits, stirring constantly.
- Stir in sausage.
- Pour mixture into a lightly greased baking dish.
- To store cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for about 50 minutes.