Creole Green Beans
|1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into half|
|6 bacon slices, cook almost crisp, drippings reserved|
|1/4 cup onion, chopped|
|1/2 cup green pepper, chopped|
|2 tbs flour|
|2 tbs brown sugar, packed|
|1 tbs Worcestershire sauce|
|Kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/8 tsp Coleman's dry mustard|
|1 (16 oz) can peeled whole tomatoes|
- Cook the bacon in a saute pan until almost crispy. Drain on paper towels. Reserve the drippings.
- Add the green beans to boiling water and cook for 10 minutes, then remove and add them to an ice bath.
- Combine onion and green pepper in the skillet with the bacon drippings. Saute until tender.
- Blend together flour, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard, then stir into the skillet.
- Add tomatoes and continue to stir until mixture thickens.
- Add the green beans and cook for about 10 minutes or until the beans are almost tender.
- Place on a platter and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.