Creole Green Beans
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into half
- 6 bacon slices, cook almost crisp, drippings reserved
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 tbs brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp Coleman's dry mustard
- 1 (16 oz) can peeled whole tomatoes
- Cook the bacon in a saute pan until almost crispy. Drain on paper towels. Reserve the drippings.
- Add the green beans to boiling water and cook for 10 minutes, then remove and add them to an ice bath.
- Combine onion and green pepper in the skillet with the bacon drippings. Saute until tender.
- Blend together flour, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard, then stir into the skillet.
- Add tomatoes and continue to stir until mixture thickens.
- Add the green beans and cook for about 10 minutes or until the beans are almost tender.
- Place on a platter and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.