Crock Pot Indian Beef Korma
|3 lbs chuck roast, cut into 2 inch cubes|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|2 tbs vegetable oil|
|2 cinnamon sticks|
|6 bay leaves|
|2 tbs garlic, minced|
|2 tbs fresh ginger, minced or grated|
|1 tsp coriander seeds|
|1 tsp cumin seeds|
|2 and 1/2 cups onion, chopped|
|2 tsp garam masala|
|1 tsp ground cardamom|
|1 tsp turmeric|
|1 tsp cayenne pepper|
|1 (14 oz) can tomato puree|
|1/2 cup heavy cream|
|1 tsp saffron threads|
|1 cup plain yogurt|
|1/2 cup roasted cashews|
|Cooked Basmati rice|
This recipe calls for beef, however you may make it using chicken or pork if desired.
- Season beef all over with salt and pepper, then heat oil in a large saute pan and sear beef in batches on all sides. Remove from pan.
- Add cinnamon, bay leaves, coriander and cumin to pan and sear until fragrant.
- Stir in onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, cardamom, turmeric and cayenne.
- When onions become transparent stir in tomato puree and seared beef. Mix well, then transfer to the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- In a small sauce pan, warm cream until hot to the touch, then stir in saffron , cover and set aside.
- Skim any fat from the top of the liquid in the crock pot,then add the saffron-cream, yogurt and cashews. Cover crock pot and simmer for another 30 minutes on low.
- Remove cinnamon sticks and bay leaves.
- Serve with basmanti rice.