Cubano Tater Tots
|2 1/2 cups frozen tater tots|
|4 tsp yellow mustard|
|8 thin slices deli ham, about 1/2 lb, or bacon|
|1 large dill pickle, finely chopped|
|8 thin slices Swiss cheese|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
This tater tot recipe revolves around the preparation of the classic Cuban sandwich using Swiss cheese, deli ham and sliced pickles.
- Bake tater tots according to package directions and allow to cool sightly.
- Spread about 1/2 tsp mustard on 1 slice of ham, then sprinkle with 1 heaping tsp finely chopped dill pickle.
- Top with Swiss cheese and cut lengthwise into 3/4 inch wide strips.
- Wrap each tater tot in a ham and cheese strip and secure with a toothpick.
- Position a rack 6 inches from a broiler.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray, then transfer the wrapped tater tots to the pan and broil until the ham starts crisping around the edges and the cheese melts. About 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.