Date Nut Bread
|3/4 cup chopped walnuts|
|1 cup pitted, chopped dates|
|1 1/2 tsp baking soda|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|3 tbs shortening|
|3/4 cup boiling water|
|1 tsp vanilla|
|1 cup sugar|
|1 1/2 cups flour, sifted|
- Combine walnuts, dates, soda and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add the shortening and boiling water and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Beat the eggs, vanilla, then beat in the sugar and flour.
- Mix in the date and nut mixture.
- Turn the dough into a greased loaf pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 65 minutes or until done.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- Cool overnight before slicing.
- This bread freezes well.