|2 small or 1 large eggplant|
|1/2 pound Provolone cheese|
|1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, cubed|
|2 (12 oz) jars tomato sauce, with garlic and basil|
|1 cup Italian bread crumbs|
|1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated|
|1/2 kcup flour|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/2 cup canolla|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and thinly slice eggplant. Lightly salt and layer on paper towels and allow to sit for about 10 minutes. This will help to remove some of the moisture from the eggplant.
- Once water is on the surface of the eggplant pat dry with paper towels.
- In a bowl, place flour with light salt and pepper. In another bowl whisk together 2 eggs. In a third bowl, combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- In an assembly line fashion, dip eggplant slices in flour, knock off the excess, then into the egg, letting excess drip off, and then into the bread crumb and cheese mixture.
- Once eggplant is coated, brown in hot oil on both sides until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper then place on paper towels to drain.
- Layer eggplant in a casserole dish starting with some tomato sauce to coat the bottom of the casserole, then the egg plant, the cheese and repeat until all ingredient have been used. Topping with mozzarella and tomato sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for another 10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before slicing in wedges to serve.