Faidley’s Maryland Crab Cakes
|1 lb jumbo lump crab meat, picked over|
|1 cup saltine cracker crumbs, finely ground|
|for the sauce|
|1/2 cup mayonnaise|
|1/4 cup yellow mustard|
|1 tbs old bay seasoning|
|soy bean oil for frying|
|tartar sauce for serving|
Faidley’s in Baltimore Maryland’s famous Lexington Market, perhaps makes the most famous Chesapeake bay style crab cake. It is made completely with Maryland Jumbo lump crab meat.
- Pick through the crab meat and remove any cartilage, being careful not to break up any of the lumps.
- Add the crab meat to a large bowl along with the saltines.
- To make the sauce combine the mayonnaise, mustard and old bay, mix well to combine.
- Add the crab meat to a large bowl along with the saltines, then add the sauce.
- Gently mix well to combine, being careful not to break up lumps.
- Using your hands form 2 tennis ball sized crab cakes, pressing gently to make sure crab cakes adhere.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before frying. Alternatively the cakes may be baked, but we find this method inferior.
- Fill a deep fryer or large sauce pan 1/3 full of oil
- Heat oil to 360 degrees and fry the crab cakes for about 1 minute or until slightly crispy on the outside.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with tartar sauce.