Faidley’s Maryland Crab Cakes
- 1 lb jumbo lump crab meat, picked over
- 1 cup saltine cracker crumbs, finely ground
- for the sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1 tbs old bay seasoning
- soy bean oil for frying
- tartar sauce for serving
Faidley’s in Baltimore Maryland’s famous Lexington Market, perhaps makes the most famous Chesapeake bay style crab cake. It is made completely with Maryland Jumbo lump crab meat.
- Pick through the crab meat and remove any cartilage, being careful not to break up any of the lumps.
- Add the crab meat to a large bowl along with the saltines.
- To make the sauce combine the mayonnaise, mustard and old bay, mix well to combine.
- Add the crab meat to a large bowl along with the saltines, then add the sauce.
- Gently mix well to combine, being careful not to break up lumps.
- Using your hands form 2 tennis ball sized crab cakes, pressing gently to make sure crab cakes adhere.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before frying. Alternatively the cakes may be baked, but we find this method inferior.
- Fill a deep fryer or large sauce pan 1/3 full of oil
- Heat oil to 360 degrees and fry the crab cakes for about 1 minute or until slightly crispy on the outside.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with tartar sauce.