French Toast Breakfast Grilled Cheese Sandwich
|1/8 cup sour cherries|
|1/8 cup blueberries|
|1/8 cup raspberries|
|4 tbs sugar, divided|
|1 tbs lemon juice|
|1/4 cup water|
|1/2 cup milk|
|2 tsp pure vanilla extract|
|1 pretzel baguette|
|butter for cooking|
|3 tbs Wisconsin mascarpone cheese, room temperature|
|1 tbs Wisconsin Brie cheese, room temperature|
|1 tbs pistachios, crushed|
|2 oz prosciutto|
|powdered sugar for garnish|
This sweet salty French toast inspired sandwich features Wisconsin mascarpone and Brie cheese along with pistachios, prosciutto, blueberries and raspberries. This recipe is courtesy of Wisconsin cheese and Michael Touna- Old Greenwich, CT.
- For the berry compote: Mix cherries, blueberries, raspberries, 2 tbs sugar, lemon juice and water in a pan.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes over medium-low heat, then set aside to cool.
- For the French toast: Beat eggs, milk, remaining 2 tbs sugar and vanilla extract in a shallow bowl.
- Cut pretzel bread into 4 inch long pieces, then split the pieces for sandwiches. Then thinly slice off the tops and bottoms of bread to expose white of the bread so it can absorb the batter better.
- Dip the bread pieces into the egg mixture, allowing each side to soak for 1 minute.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium low heat and grill each side for 2-3 minutes to brown.
- For the cheese spread: Vigorously mix mascarpone, brie and pistachios with fork until well blended.
- spread on inside of French toast slice, and allow bread to cool to room temperature.
- Drain any excess water and spread some of the fruit compote on top of the cheeses.
- top with prosciutto slices and another slice of French toast.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over and serve.
- Recipe may be multiplied.