Fried Green Tomatoes
|6 large green tomatoes|
|1 1/2 cup flour|
|1/4 cup milk|
|1/2 cup cornmeal|
|1 tsp black pepper|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|dash celery salt|
|1 cup vegetable oil, more if needed|
- Wash and remove stems from tomatoes, then slice into 1/4 inch slices and set aside.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, celery salt, kosher salt and pepper with just enough milk to make a thick batter.
- In a heavy skillet, heat oil over high heat, then reduce to medium.
- Dip tomato slices in batter, letting excess drip off, then add to oil and fry in batches until golden brown, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.
- If you prefer not to cook the tomatoes in a batter see our recipe for “buttermilk marinated fried green tomatoes”.