Grilled Navajo Bread
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, mix the flour and baking powder.
- Add the milk and egg and stir with a spoon until the batter is spongy.
- Pour the oil into a cast iron skillet and turn to coat the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Spoon the bread batter into the skillet, then place the skillet on the grill over medium-high coals and cook for 15 minutes.
- When the bottom of the bread is brown, carefully turn the bread using 2 large spatulas and grill for 15 minutes longer.
- To serve, pull pieces of the bread and enjoy with grilled meat and or beans.
- Alternatively you may make the bread on the stove top using a cast iron pan.