- 1 quart of heavy cream
- 1 package (1/8 tsp) Mesophillic starter culture
- fine cheese cloth
- kosher salt to taste, optional
Wonderful cream cheese is very easy to make. All you need is high quality cream and a starter culture. Time will do the rest. Mesophilic starter culture is available at cheese supply stores or on Amazon.
- Make sure you are using a glass container to hold your cream, then gently stir in the starter culture.
- Loosely cover (not airtight) and set it on your counter top to culture for 8-12 hours. It take more or less time depending on the temperature of your kitchen.
- You’ll know when it’s done when it has set up and somewhat resembles yogurt. It may not be even consistency, but that’s ok.
- Dumb the thickened cream into the cheesecloth lined strainer and allow the whey to drip our for at least 12 hours. The longer it drips the firmer the cheese will be.