Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 lbs mushrooms
- 6 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbs dry sherry
- 1 cup sour cream for garnish
- Chopped chives for garnish
This is a wonderful soup and can not be compared to the canned varieties.
- Clean the mushrooms, the remove a little from the tough stem ends.
- Quarter the mushrooms.
- In a large skillet melt the butter and saute the mushrooms, onions and celery until golden.
- In a blender or food processor, combine 1/2 of the mushroom mixture, 1/2 cup cream, 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1/2 of the seasonings.
- Mix at high speed until blended.
- Repeat the procedure for the second portion.
- Reheat without boiling before serving.
- To serve place in individual bowls and garnish with sour cream and chives.