Homemade Italian Sausage
|3 lbs pork shoulder, diced and chilled|
|1 tbs fennel seeds|
|1 tbs dried sage|
|1/2 tbs dried thyme|
|small bunch Italian parsley leaves, chopped|
|zest of 3 lemons|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste, about 1/2 tbs each|
|1/2 tbs red pepper flakes or more if you like it spicy, if sweet is preferred omit the pepper flakes|
|4 ft of natural sausage casing, if using|
Sausage making at home is fun and quite rewarding. You have the opportunity to experiment with various flavors and meats. Some specialized equipment is required. Typically a meat grinder, a stuffing machine, and natural casings. This recipe shows you how to make sausage using a food processor. You may use sausage casings or opt just to make sausage patties.
- If using a meat grinder, mix the pork and other ingredients until well combined, then using a course grinding plate. Make sure the meat is very cold. We like to place it in the freezer for 30 minutes before grinding.
- Note it is important to keep the meat as well as any bowls or utensils very cold while processing the meat.
- Alternatively you may grind the meat using a food processor. Add the meat the the bowl of a food processor with the blades and bowl very cold and pulse until you have a coarse mixture.
- At this point you may form the pork into patties.
- If you want to make links, soak the sausage casing according to the package directions, then thread the casing onto a sausage stuffer and tie off the end. Fill the sausage stuffer with the prepared meat.
- Hold the casing steady and fill with the filling. When the casing if filled, lay the sausages down in a straight line and prick all the way along with a fin, then turn over and repeat on the other side. This will ensure that the sausages don’t burst while cooking.
- Twist sausage into equal sized sausages and tie off each.
- If you are not using a sausage stuffing machine, you may make patties or you may stuff the sausage casings by hand.
- Cook sausage over a hot grill or saute in a pan.
Please keep reading. We are adding new and delicious content every day.