Hot and Sour Soup with Ginger
|4 cups chicken broth|
|2 ozs dried shiitake mushrooms|
|5 tbs rice vinegar|
|2 tbs corn starch|
|1 1/2 tbs sesame ol|
|3 tbs fresh ginger, minced|
|1 10 oz package firm tofu, cut into 1/4 inch dice|
|1 oz bean thread noodles or angel hair pasta, broken in half|
|1 tbs soy sauce|
|1/2 tsp dried crushed red pepper|
|pinch of sugar|
- Combine broth and mushrooms in a bowl, and let stand for about 30 minutes or until softened.
- Remove mushrooms from broth and squeeze dry over bowl with broth and reserve broth. Discard mushroom stems, then thinly slice the caps.
- Combine the vinegar and cornstarch in a small bowl and stir to blend.
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan over high heat. Add ginger and saute for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the reserved broth and bring to a boil. Add noodles, tofu, soy sauce, red pepper, sugar, and mushrooms.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and stir until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Serve warm.