Hunan Velvet Chicken
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 5 pieces star anise
- 3 slices fresh ginger
- 1 (2 1/2) lb chicken
- Sesame oil
- Toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and white pepper totaste
- Bring broth, star anise and ginger to a boil in a large pot.
- Lower the chicken into the broth.
- When the broth returns to a boil, cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes or until chicken has cooked through.
- Turn off heat and allow to cool in broth, covered.
- Remove chicken from broth, cut into bite sized pieces.
- Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Coat with sesame oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve at room temperature with a dip of soy sauce, scallions and red pepper flakes.