Hunan Velvet Chicken
|1 quart chicken broth|
|5 pieces star anise|
|3 slices fresh ginger|
|1 (2 1/2) lb chicken|
|Toasted sesame seeds|
|1/2 cup soy sauce|
|2 scallions, sliced|
|Pinch red pepper flakes|
|Kosher salt and white pepper totaste|
- Bring broth, star anise and ginger to a boil in a large pot.
- Lower the chicken into the broth.
- When the broth returns to a boil, cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes or until chicken has cooked through.
- Turn off heat and allow to cool in broth, covered.
- Remove chicken from broth, cut into bite sized pieces.
- Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Coat with sesame oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve at room temperature with a dip of soy sauce, scallions and red pepper flakes.