Italian Bean Soup
|2 tsp extra virgin olive oil|
|1 leek, washed and chopped|
|2 cloves garlic, chopped|
|3 tsp dried oregano|
|3/4 cup green beans, chopped 1/4 inch|
|1 (14 oz) can lima beams, drained and rinsed|
|1/4 cup small pasta of your choiice|
|4 cups vegetable stock|
|8 cherry tomatoes|
|Kosher salt and cracked black pepper|
|3 tbs torn fresh basil|
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the leek, garlic and oregano, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the green beans and the lima beans, add the pasta, then the stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the pasta is cooked al dente. Stir occasionally.
- In a heavy skillet, fry the tomatoes over high heat until they soften and the skins begin to blacken.
- Gently crush the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon, then add to the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the torn basil and serve.