Italian Bread Salad
|For the basil vinaigrette|
|1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|1/4 cup red wine vinegar|
|1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|For the bread salad|
|2 tsp virgin olive oil|
|1 small red onion, thinly sliced|
|2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise in half and sliced|
|3 cups sliced mushrooms|
|1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips|
|3 cups Italian bread, cubed and toasted|
|1 head red leaf lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces|
|1/4 lb sliced pepperoni|
|1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
- First prepare the basil vinaigrette. Add ingredients to a jar with a tight fitting lid, then shake to combine. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook onion, zucchini, mushrooms and bell pepper in oil for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp tender. Drain.
- Place 1 cup of the bread cubes in a large serving bowl, then drizzle with 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Stir in vegetable mixture, remaining bread cubes and remaining ingredients, then toss.