Italian Cream Cake
|5 eggs, seperated|
|1 cup butter, softened|
|1 2/3 cups sugar|
|1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract|
|2 cups ap flour|
|3/4 tsp baking soda|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|1 cup buttermilk|
|1 1/3 cups flaked coconut|
|1 cup chopped pecans, toasted|
|For the frosting|
|12 oz cream cheese, softened|
|6 tbs butter, softened|
|2 1/4 tsp vanilla extract|
|5 2/3 cups confectioners sugar|
|3-4 tbs heavy cream|
|1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted|
|1/4 cup flaked coconut, optional|
- Place egg whites in a small bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line bottoms of three greased 9 inch round baking pans with parchment paper, then grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt, then add to the creamed mixture alternatively with buttermilk, beating well after each addition, then fold in the coconut and pecans.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whits on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually fold into the batter, then transfer to the baking pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or util a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- For the frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Gradually beat in confectioners sugar and enough cream to reach spreading consistency.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of caked.
- Sprinkle with pecans and coconut if desired.