Italian Fish balls
|2 lbs cod fillets|
|4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters|
|1 small onion, grated|
|1 egg, lightly beaten|
|2 tbs milk|
|2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped|
|2 tbs bread crumbs or cracker crumbs|
|1 tbs oregano|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|vegetable oil for frying|
- Add the fish to a steam basket over boiling water and steam until it easily flakes, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile add the potatoes to a pot filled with cold water and boil for about 15-20 minutes or until pierced easily with a fork. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain and mash well or put through a potato ricer.
- Allow fish to cool slightly, then flake with a fork.
- In a bowl add the flaked fish, mashed potato, grated onion, beaten egg, milk, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Combine the mixture well, then take a small handfuls of the mixture, roll into balls, (smaller than a golf ball), flatten it slightly, and set aside.
- Place the prepared fish cakes into the fridge, covered for 30-45 minutes.
- Place the oil in a heated saute pan and cook the fish cakes in batches, turning over once until golden and crispy on both sides.