Italian Potato Gnocchi
|1 1/2 lbs russet potatoes|
|1 cup or more flour|
|1 large egg yolk, beaten|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|large pinch of freshly grated nutmeg|
|1 tbs olive oil|
|Black pepper for garnish, optional|
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Pierce potatoes in several places and bake until soft, about 1 hour.
- Cool slightly, then cut potatoes in half.
- Working in batches, scoop potatoes from shell into a potato ricer or food mill.
- Rice potatoes onto a rimmed baking sheet, spread out and cool to room temperature.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl.
- Add 1 cup of flour, toss to coat.
- Form a well in the center of the potato mixture, add the egg yolk, salt, nutmeg, then stir with a fork until mixture is evenly moistened. (mixture will look shaggy)
- Turn mixture out onto lightly floured work surface, then knead until dough comes together, sprinkling dough with flour lightly if dough is too sticky.
- Form dough into a ball, then divide into 4 pieces.
- Roll each piece between hands and work into a 3/4 inch rope.
- Cut each rope into 3/4 inch pieces, then place on a prepared baking sheet.
- Working in batches, cook gnocchi in a large pot of boiling salted water, until they rise from the bottom. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes or so or until the gnocchi is tender.
- Drizzle gnocchi with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Garnish with cracked black pepper if desired.