Jamaican Spiced Rubbed Chicken
|1 (4 lb) whole chicken|
|4 tsp kosher salt|
|2 tsp white sugar|
|1/4 tsp ground cloves|
|1/4 tsp ground allspice|
|1/4 tsp nutmeg|
|1/4 tsp ground cinnamon|
|1/4 tsp black pepper|
|1/4 tsp cayenne pepper|
|2 tsp dried thyme|
|1 habanero pepper, seeded and finely minced|
- Wash and dry the chicken.
- Season the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper, then add the lemon and garlic cloves.
- Mix salt, sugar, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, thyme, hot pepper, cinnamon in a bowl and mix well. Rub chicken all over with the mixture.
- Cover chicken and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Pre- heat oven to 500 degrees, then roast the chicken for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 450 and continue to roast for another 15 minutes.
- Baste the chicken with pan drippings, reduce heat to 425 degrees and roast for another 30 minutes or until an internal temperature of 180 degrees.
- Let chicken stand for 30 minutes before carving