Jamaican Curried Goat
|2 lbs goat meat cut into 2-3 inch pieces|
|2-3 tb hot curry powder|
|2 scotch bonnet or habnero peppers, stemed and left whole|
|2 sliced onions|
|3 scallions, chopped, white and green parts|
|1-2 tbs lime juice|
|4 cloves garlic, chopped|
|8 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped, leaves and stems|
|1 tbs allspice|
|2-3 cups chicken or beef broth|
|1/4-1/2 cup vegetable oil|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|3 gold potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges (optional)|
- Wash and dry the goat meat.
- Add vegetable oil to a large stock pot or Dutch oven and using medium high heat add the goat meat and brown on all sides.
- Add the sliced onions, scallions and garlic and stir for 3-4 minutes or until the onions have slightly softened.
- Add the chicken broth along with the peppers, curry, allspice, and thyme. Stir well to combine.
- Add the lime juice, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Potatoes may be added if desired.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer and cook for 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.