Japanese Shrimp Tempura
|3 lbs of large shrimp, shelled, cleaned, deveined and butterflied|
|3 egg yolks|
|1 tbs soy sauce|
|1 and 3/4 cups flour, sifted|
|1/2 cup dry sherry|
|2 tsp canola oil|
|canola oil for frying|
|1/2 tsp dry mustard|
|3 egg whites, stiffly beaten with a wire whisk|
|For the Sauce:|
|1/2 cup sherry|
|1/2 cup soy sauce|
|2 tsp prepared horseradish|
|1 tsp fresh ginger|
This recipe allows you to create the tempura batter in seconds. The sauce is also delicious and super simple to prepare. Even though this recipe calls for shrimp you may also use it for vegetables. S
- In a blender add the soy sauce, egg yolks, sherry, canola oil and dry mustard.
- Blend for about 20 seconds. After the first 5 seconds gradually add the sifted flour until all is well blended.
- Pour mixture in bowl and gently fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan or deep fryer to 375 degrees.
- Dip shrimp into the batter to coat lightly. Let excess drip off.
- Place shrimp into hot oil in batches and fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Do not over crowd the pan.
- Remove shrimp from oil and drain on paper towels.
For the Sauce:
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.