Lemon Poppy Seed Butter Cake
|2 and 3/4 cups unbleached flour|
|2 1/4 tsp baking powder|
|1 tsp baking soda|
|1/2 tsp salt|
|1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (2 sticks)|
|1 3/4 cup sugar|
|4 eggs, seperated|
|zest of 2 lemons|
|2 tsp vanilla|
|1 cup buttermilk|
|1/2 cup poppy seeds|
|powdered sugar for garnish|
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl , beat together the butter and sugar. Add sugar slowly.
- Separate the eggs and set the egg whites aside.
- Add yolks to butter mix, one at a time, beating in between.
- Add lemon zest and vanilla to mix.
- Add buttermilk to mix, alternatively with flour mix.
- Stir poppy seeds into batter.
- In a separate bowl, add a pinch of salt, then beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold into batter.
- Pour into greased, floured 10 ” tube or bundt pan.
- Bake about 55 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from pan after cooling for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.