Liver and Onions
|2 lbs Calves liver|
|2 cups milk|
|3/4 cup canola oil|
|2 medium onions, sliced|
|1 tbs kosher salt|
|1 tbs black pepper|
|1 tbs garlic powder|
|1 tbs onion powder|
|1 cup flour|
|1 cup chicken stock or water|
|1 tbs Worcestershire sauce|
- Soak liver in milk for 2-3 hours.
- Drain the milk and pat the liver dry with paper towels.
- In a skillet using medium high heat, add the oil and saute the onions until golden brown.
- Remove the onions from the skillet and set aside.
- Mix together the salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Season the flour the 2 tbs of the spice mixture, then season the liver on both sides with the remaining spice.
- Set aside 2 tbs of the flour to make the gravy.
- Dredge the liver in the remaining flour, coating both sides.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and saute the liver on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove the liver from the pan and set aside.
- Add the set aside flour to the pan and using medium heat, whisk until a smooth paste forms.
- Slowly add the chicken stock and continue to stir until a smooth gravy forms. If mixture gets too thick add more stock.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, then add back the liver and onions to the pan and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and a asparagus.